Main Article Content
imaging, kidney cancer, RCC recurrence, renal fossa, spleen, technetium-99m sulfur colloid scan
Local regional recurrence of renal cell cancer post-nephrectomy most often occurs within three years after surgery. Post-nephrectomy, many processes may mimic RCC recurrence. We present the case of a 75 year-old Caucasian male patient with a mass in his renal fossa post-nephrectomy for renal cell cancer, suggesting local recurrence. Use of the technetium-99m sulfur colloid scan showed that the mass was his spleen which had been displaced into the renal fossa. With high index of suspicion, characterization of these processes as splenic in origin would prevent subjecting patients to risks of biopsy or even surgery.
2. Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease Text. 7th Edition.
3. Klatte T, Lam JS, Shuch B, Belldegrun A, Pantuck AJ. Surveillance for renal cell cancer: Why and how? When and how often? Urol. Oncol. 2008;26:550-4.
4. Itano NB, Blute ML, Spotts B, Zincke H. Outcome of isolated renal cell carcinoma fossa recurrence after nephrectomy. J Urol. 2000;164(2):322-5.
5. Tjaden C, Werner J, Buechler MW, Hackert T. Reactive hypertrophy of an accessory spleen mimicking tumour recurrence of metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Asian J Surg. 2011;34(1):50-2.
6. Page JB, Lenz DL, Wong C. Right-sided intrarenal splenosis mimicking a renal carcinoma. Scientific World Journal. 2006;6:2442-4.
7. Pumberger W, Wiesbauer P, Leitha T. Splenosis mimicking tumor recurrence in renal cell carcinoma: detection on selective spleen scintigraphy. J Pediatr Surg. 2001;36(7):1089-91.
8. Tolhurst SR, Rapp DE, Lyon MB, Orvieto MA, Sokoloff MH, Shalhav AL. Post-operative changes mimicking the radiographic appearance of recurrent renal cell carcinoma. Urol Int. 2006;76(4):368-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000092066
9. Sy M, Van Gansbeke D, Simon J, Willemart S, Braude P, Struyven J. Case report: Renal pseudotumours mimicking tumour recurrence after partial nephrectomy. Br J Radiol. 1996;69(820):359-62. http://dx.doi.org/10.1259/0007-1285-69-820-359